Saturday, April 21, 2012

Thanksgiving All Year Long

It was last April when I ended a ten and a half year career at an agency I was hoping to retire from. The program ended due to financial problems and I contemplated starting my own business when the Center for Human Development called me and invited me to be on board with them as a therapist! In a whirlwind of emotions and thoughts, I was told the Center and it’s staff are like family! Well, over my 28 year career this was not the first time I had heard this term and wondered if it was a healthy family or dysfunctional one. After much discernment and prayer, I agreed to work with the Center. Starting a private practice is a challenge that usually takes about five years to grow. With the support of great support staff and a team of not only professional staff but colleagues who have a tremendous amount of experience and skills the journey I am now on has not only been growth producing professionally, but also very rewarding personally. This is an agency that truly cares about the people that seek services here and they also care about each other on a genuine level. Lee and Barb Webster are the owners of the Center and are also very active and experienced therapists. This couple welcomes all of us into their business but also welcomes us into their lives and as we share with each other professionally and personally the joys, successes and struggles that most people experience in life! After working for The Center for Human Development for the past year and a half, I would have to say not only is it a job but an experience of joy, love and excitement! Throughout this past year, I have been truly thankful that I did not start my own business but joined in my adoptive family of therapists and coworkers on a journey to serve those in need with professional and personal care!
Dan Buss, LCSW, MSW

No comments:

Post a Comment